Monday, October 4, 2010

Lemon Meringue Pie

I saw this recipe and thought it sounded great, so I of course filed it away to try one day when we were having people over to help us out.  I honestly don't think I've ever had any kind of lemon pie, so I wasn't really sure if I'd like it or not.  Let's just say it was good, but I doubt I will make it for myself again.  I found out I'm not a huge lemon fan, however my guests thoroughly enjoyed it and commented on how good it was, so it's not the recipe, it's just my taste buds!


Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Yields: 8 Servings

Ingredients

1 cup white sugar
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
3 TBSP cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
2 lemons, juiced and zested
2 TBSP butter
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
4 egg whites
6 TBSP white sugar


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. To Make Lemon Filling:  In a medium sauce pan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt.  Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest.  Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil.  Stir in butter.
  3. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture.  Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture.  Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick, about 12 minutes.  Remove from heat.  
  4. Pour filling into baked pie shell.
  5. To Make Meringue:  In a large glass or metal bowl, whip eggs with a hand mixer until foamy.  Gradually add sugar, continuing to whip until stiff peaks form.
  6. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
From AllRecipes.com

0 comments: